P_CIG_15 Policy for the Management of Medication Errors
This policy details the immediate, medium and long term actions to be taken following the discovery of a Medication Error to ensure patient safety and to support staff.
This document sets out the organisation's policy on the management of medication errors. It aims to:
- Strengthen the organisation's just and fair blame culture in response to adverse healthcare events
- Facilitate organisational learning through the findings of thorough and careful
- investigation at local level
- Provide a framework for practitioners to improve practice
- Ensure appropriate actions are taken by managers and applied consistently across the organisation
The organisation encourages a sensitive response to medication errors through a comprehensive assessment taking full account of the context and circumstances surrounding the incident.